my cup of tea

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Another Day in London

Today our group spent the whole day in London and Greenwich, an educational field trip. Six of us (Me, Jennifer, Sarah, Caryn, Brent, Dustin) left at 8:00 am, earlier than the rest, in order to buy tickets for the Lion King show. Sarah, Jennifer and I were so excited to be back in London! We felt like we knew the general layout of the city and could find our way around :).

It was a lot harder to buy tickets than I thought. There are so many different ticket counters selling different seats for different showtimes and different prices....not to mention the gigantic lines you have to stand in. Our small group split up into a couple different teams to try to find the cheapest tickets. We waited in several lines at once, and then one of us would run to another line and communicate with another team really fast to see what their price was. Whew. Anyway, we finally found "reasonable" seats and prices: 44 gbp each. I really wanted to see the Lion King, but the price was just too high for my budget, so I decided not to see the show. When I told Jennifer, she turned to me and said,"No. You are going to see it! I'm going to pay for you!" I was shocked and tried to refuse her offer, but she wouldn't let me. So, Jennifer ended up buying my ticket for the Lion King and I was so so so happy!

We met up with the rest of the group at 11:45 am at a dock, and a boat tour of the River Thames began at noon. The guy leading the tour was pretty funny, and it was interesting to see some familiar sights from the river!

Big Ben:


London Eye:


Tower Bridge:




Brian waving at people on the bridge:






The boat arrived in Greenwich after an hour. We were given 2 hours of free time before meeting at the Maritime Museum at 3:00 pm. Sarah, Jennifer and I found a Mexican food restaurant and ate lunch there. And of course, we had to order margaritas! After looking at the price list, we discovered it would be cheaper to split a pitcher of margarita instead of ordering separate ones, so that's what we did :). However, it ended up not being frozen like we had ordered, so it was a lot stronger than we expected! Haha



The three of us met up with the rest of the group at the Maritime Museum. This field trip was required for the students taking the Humanities class, but none of us were in that class, so it was just an optional fun trip for us! Honestly, Jennifer and I weren't in the mood to go to a museum, so we ended up borrowing Beth Ann's ipod, and we walked through the museum listening to music :).



After the museum, we split off from the group again and headed to the Royal Observatory to see the Prime Meridian. It started raining, so we had to run there!







Me standing on the Prime Meridian:


After this, we still had some time to kill before meeting the other three at the Lion King show. We saw the Tower of London, as well as a rainbow and a gorgeous sunset! Then we ate a quick dinner at Subway (Jennfer was really hungry and bought 10 cookies! They were also really cheap :)







We took the underground to the theater and met Caryn, Brent and Dustin at the show (we all had seats together). The Lion King was amazing!!! It is by far the best show I have ever seen! There are several songs that are new/different than the movie, but I already knew them because Callie has played the soundtrack for me before. I was so glad I was familiar with them and could sing along in my head :).















The group:


After the show, it was late and we were all exhausted. I slept on the bus the entire way home. We didn't get into Oxford until 1:30 am! It was a long but excellent day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home