my cup of tea

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Goal statement

Here is part of my paper, a type of goal statement:


I have traveled to four countries in my lifetime so far, and from these experiences I have learned so much about other cultures, about myself, and about God. People truly fascinate me; a great variety of cultures and personalities exist in the world, yet all of these unique characteristics work together harmoniously in the Master’s hand.


The only way to truly understand another culture is to be immersed in that culture and surrounded by that environment. This is what the Study Abroad program offers: an opportunity to live in another country for a semester in order to learn in a natural context about the culture of the host country. This may well be the only chance I ever have to live in another country for an extended period of time. I pray that studying in Oxford will open my eyes to a new culture, teach me more about myself, and deepen my relationship with God.

When living in a country outside of the United States, everything I know to be my comfortable surroundings and familiar culture (including language, time, food, etc.) will be changed. The only factors which will remain the same are myself and God. I am looking forward to the growth and understanding of myself that will result from so much change around me. Although this may be the hard way to become more confident in my identity, it is an experience I eagerly await.

My first year at ACU was one filled with new friendships. I became close to a group of people right away, and we did nearly everything together for the rest of the year. We made lots of memories and shared so much with each other. The problem with this was I felt content with the friends I had, and I did not try to bond with other people as much as I should have. In the group going to Oxford this fall, there is not a single person in my “group” of friends from my freshman year. This is one of the reasons I chose to take part in the Study Abroad program. It will give me a chance to meet other brothers and sisters in Christ and grow with them this semester as a family.

In fact, one of my personal goals during my time abroad is to grow close to this ACU group. We will be living, learning, and traveling together; getting along with each other and enjoying the group is a must for a positive experience abroad. This will not be difficult, especially because I am easy to get along with and have a great interest in people. I really want to get to know each individual as a soul, as God sees them. In order to do this, I must try not to judge anyone. Instead, I need to be open and honest, caring and compassionate, humble and serving. If I think of the group’s interests above mine, this attitude has the ability encourage cooperation among my fellow students. I hope I can help others in the group get as much out of the program as I wish to get out of it.

Another goal of mine for this semester is to try to learn at my maximum academic potential. The classes I am taking abroad will be more interesting already, since I will be learning in a natural context (learning about Great Britain while in Great Britain). I hope to use British vocabulary whenever I can, with or without fellow students. I can also pick up more words from residents in the country. My strategy for this is to keep my eyes and ears open at all times and really take time to pay attention to my surroundings. I need to step out of my comfort zone and interact with the culture in Europe. By allowing myself to become a part of England, I can put into practice what I am learning in the class, therefore taking a step towards my maximum academic potential.

My third and last goal during my time abroad is to realize more about myself and more about God. No matter what I do or where I go, God and I are the only two constants. In England I will have time to discover more of who I am, since I will be removed from my familiar environment. I plan to do this by taking lots of time to reflect and meditate on who God is and who He is through me. I have also started a journal, in which I will try to write my thoughts at the end of every day. Through prayer and reflection this semester, I hope to become more confident in my personal identity, and also in my identity in Christ.

I know this is going to be an amazing experience for me. I cannot wait to become one with England’s culture. I pray to God that He will help me grow close to the rest of the Study Abroad group, learn at my maximum academic potential in these natural surroundings, and come out of this experience a changed person. I can only imagine what God has in store for me this fall.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:07 AM, Blogger karen cavender said…

    Your enthusiasm is very inspiring! Wish I was going with you! ha.

     
  • At 4:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lisa, what a delightful and refreshing soul you are! I am sure glad you are willing to share yourself with the world and I will enjoy sharing your blog with others. I'm copying it for John today when I send out his mail. XO I love you Precious! XO Aunt Retha

     

Post a Comment

<< Home