my cup of tea

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Rugby and Family Dinner

I slept in this morning, which was wonderful. Every day here is so full and fun, but it really wears you out. At 1:30 pm, a group of 5 of us (Me, Sarah, Lael, Kelly, and Denyse) went to a rugby game! We had to walk about 30 minutes to get there. Rugby is such a crazy sport and really exciting to watch! We had no idea what was going on, but the crowd really got into it and of course we enjoyed watching the cute rugby players :).







We left the game at 3:00 pm and stopped by Sainsbury's to buy some ingredients. Sarah, Jennifer, and I were invited to a "Family Dinner" tonight with a group that has formed their own "family" and each has a role (father, mother, daughter, crazy aunt, etc). It is so fun to be around them! The group is Kelly, Kathryn, Lara, Susan, Brent, and Josh. They have family dinners often and we were invited as their guests tonight! I decided to make a cake to bring for dessert, using Virginia's recipe.

Well, it was a lot harder than I thought. I searched for cake mix and the closest thing I could find was "sponge" mix...the back of the box mentioned cupcakes so I figured it was good enough. I also couldn't find cream of coconut, so I bought cream instead! Haha, I could tell this would be an interesting cake. I was a little scared of how it would turn out, especially since I had spoken so highly of this recipe. After putting the cake in the oven, I watched it cook and it definitely wasn't normal - some parts were getting burnt while others were soupy! After 40 minutes, I took it out. It looked done, but it definitely did not look like Virginia's cake! I sprinkled sugar on top of it instead of icing - oops, something I forgot to buy!



Dinner was really good....homemade pizza and minestrone soup :). To my surprise, everyone loved the cake and the entire thing was eaten! I thought it was dry and not sweet enough, kind of like cornbread, but everyone else thought it was delicious. I told them that if they liked this cake, they would REALLY love Virginia's cake, haha.

After dinner, we played an Oxford version of Monopoly. This was so fun because we recognized all of the places! Then, 6 of us began planning a trip to Norway for the beginning of November! The Norway group is Me, Lael, Sarah I, Erin, Todd, and Kyle. We bought our plane tickets online tonight - extremely cheap, less than one dollar! Of course, when the tax/fees were added, it was about 15 dollars...but still really cheap!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home