my cup of tea

Monday, October 10, 2005

Leigh Ann is here!

I had two class presentations today and also a mid-term! Dr. Willis let me leave class as soon as I was finished so I could go get Leigh Ann from her hostel! It is so unreal that she is here. We'll stay in Oxford tonight, and then we are leaving tomorrow to go to Scotland and then Ireland! I am super excited :).

It is hard to meet up with someone when you both can't use cell phones! I walked to Leigh Ann's hostel, about 30 minutes away, and she wasn't there. I didn't know what else to do but wait. I sat in the lobby for awhile, and then I went outside and walked around in a nearby park for a few minutes, and then I walked back to the hostel. Just as I was reaching the door, I saw Leigh Ann walking down the street toward me! It was so good to see her, and it was also really weird to have both of my worlds (America and England) overlap.

We only had half a day for me to give Leigh Ann a tour of Oxford! Our first stop was Christ Church. We toured the inside and saw the Great Hall, the Alice window, the staircase from Harry Potter, and lots more - it was fun to see another person's reaction to something so familiar to me. Then, we walked through University Park to get to the ACU houses. I got to show her my room and introduce her to people! I really wanted to take her to Portmeadow before it got dark, so we had to hurry. Lael joined us and we stopped by 9-to-9 first to get apples for the horses. Then the 3 of us walked to Portmeadow and played with the horses and fed them! It was so fun, and Leigh Ann really enjoyed it too because she loves horses. I feel like Portmeadow is one of those things that typical tourists would miss, but people who live there know about this hidden treasure in the town.

We came back to the houses and got ready for dinner. Of course I had to take Leigh Ann to the Eagle & Child! I told my friends we were eating there, and I was so excited when 5 other girls wanted to join us! Jennifer, Sarah, Lael, Beth Ann, and Courtney came along with my sister and I. I ordered fish and chips and Stella Artois - classic. Then we went to G & D's to get ice cream for dessert! I walked Leigh Ann back to her hostel, and then I went back to the house and said bye to people before going to bed. I knew she was worn out from traveling and sight-seeing. I wish we could have added another Oxford day so that I could show her more!

This is one of 2 week-long breaks we have for free travel, in addition to our France trip and several long weekends. Since we spent our France trip together, this week will be the longest amount of time I will be away from my Oxford family!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home