my cup of tea

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Edinburgh, Scotland

I left the house at 9:00 am to go meet Leigh Ann at her hostel. The only other thing I really wanted her to experience was a Brazilian sandwich from On The Hoof. So I stopped by there to grab one, but then I realized I had no cash! I was pretty disappointed, especially because I had told Leigh Ann how good it was and how I would get her one this morning.

I met Leigh Ann at her hostel and we walked to the train station (which was really close) and got there by 9:45 am to catch our train. The train took us to Edinburgh, and we got there at 4:30 pm. The first thing we did was check in to our hostel, called Brodie's. It looked like a hole-in-the-wall place from the street, but inside was a long hallway that led to several big rooms! We were taken to our room, the "Whisky Room," which was a large mixed room with 16 beds (8 bunk-beds). The more beds you have in a room, the cheaper it is per night, and we definitely wanted to travel as cheap as possible!





We dropped off our luggage in the room and left to explore the city a little bit before it got too dark. It was already getting dark and raining. We stopped in this little shop that armor and swords, and it made us think of Steven, so we bought him a sword.











When we were planning our trip, I was in charge of buying the plane and train tickets, and Leigh Ann was in charge of booking hostels and researching things to do/see. She said we had to go to this pub called "The Last Drop," which gets its name from the last public hanging in Scotland that was conducted outside! It is reputed that the executioner took the condemned man to this pub for a drink just before hanging him. This pub had a great atmosphere! It was pretty full of people, the lights were dim, and I felt like I was taken back in time. There were bills of different currencies stapled to the ceiling, which added to the historical feel of the place.





We both ordered traditional Scottish food: I ordered Steak and Guiness Pie, and Leigh Ann ordered Haggis, Neeps, and Tatties. "Neeps" are turnips, "tatties" are potatoes, and "haggis"....well, Leigh Ann wouldn't tell me what haggis was until I tried it. Then I found out that it is a sheep's heart, liver, and lungs minced and mixed with spices and boiled in the animal's stomach!!! Gross. I couldn't believe that I had eaten some of it, but I had to admit that it wasn't that bad. It was pretty salty, but it just tasted like meat.

While we were eating, we heard the rain start pouring outside, and we both realized we forgot umbrellas! In order to avoid the rain as much as possible, we stayed at the pub for a long time and just talked. It was so nice to just sit and talk and relax after a day of traveling. At 8:30 pm we headed back to the hostel. Even though it was pretty early, all of the stores were closed. It was still raining and our clothes got completely soaked! We were glad to be back indoors when we got to Brodie's. The only other people in the room this early were two guys - one from Australia and one from New Zealand. They were really cute and nice, and we talked to them for awhile while we all laid in our bunk-beds. They also felt like losers for being indoors so early, haha. I read a little bit before going to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home